In the summer I am across a set of cup-adorning cookie cutters that were too cute to pass up. The set came with a recipe booklet and two cookie cutters in the shape of a boy and a girl. They are made by the same company that issued the Nativity set I used last Christmas for my Gingerbread Nativity over at Roti n Rice.
This is definitely a much simpler set but one that is quite fun. I really like the idea of the shapes being able to cling to the side of my teacup. Aren’t they cute?
There are two recipes in the little booklet – lemon and chocolate. I decided on the lemon cookies. I made some changes to the recipe and added a little lemon extract to give the cookies a stronger lemon flavor. The dough is pretty soft, so be sure to chill it well before rolling and cutting.
- 1 stick (115g) butter, softened
- ⅓ cup (75g) sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- 1¾ cups (265g) all-purpose flour
- Lemon zest from half a lemon
- Combine butter and sugar in a large bowl. Beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg, salt, and lemon extract and beat for another minute.
- Add flour and lemon zest. Beat until just combine.
- Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Place dough between two sheets and plastic and roll out to about ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out shapes with cup adorning cookie cutters.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F (180°C) for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Many have asked about these Birkmann VIP VI Children Cookie Cutter Set. If you are interested, they can be purchased here.