Shimmer sugar is such a mesmerizing thing, especially when they come beautifully bottled and labeled – Amethyst Shimmer, Peridot Shimmer, Gold Shimmer, Sapphire Shimmer, and so on. How can one walk away and not bring at least a bottle home. After all, the holidays are just round the corner and those sugar cookies need to be decorated. I stood there for a long while trying to figure out which color would best compliment my holiday decor. It was like shoe shopping and trying to decide the color that would go best with all your different outfits.
I have always like the deep purple of amethyst and so I went with that. Of course I had to get another color to compliment the amethyst. Can you guess which other one I bought? I will share that another time. For now, let’s get back to these cookies. I added a little culinary lavender (one of my favorite herbs) to make them extra special. Love how they turned out. I hope you enjoy them too.
- 1 tbsp culinary lavender
- 1½ cups (225g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 stick (½ cup/115g) butter
- ⅓ cup (75g) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- Crush lavender using a pestle and mortar. In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, salt, and crushed lavender.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and milk and continue to beat until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as possible. Add the rest and knead until dough comes together, about 1 to 2 minutes. Wrap in plastic and chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to ⅛ inch (3 mm) thick. Cut into desired shape using a 2½-inch cookie cutter. Add sugar sprinkles before removing cookie cutter. Transfer to a cookie sheet. Repeat until all dough is used up.
- Bake cookies in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 8 minutes or until bottoms are very lightly browned. Transfer onto a wire rack and cool completely.
Look at that sugar! Isn’t it pretty?