Dainty tea sandwiches are synonymous to tea time. They are always popular and provide a nice savory contrast to sweet cakes, cookies, and scones.
Sandwiches should never be soggy. A thin layer of softened butter spread on the bread from end to end will help prevent that. The crusts should be removed and each sandwich cut in half or on a diagonal. Sandwiches may be prepared ahead of time. They should be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated until ready to be served.
These Egg and Watercress Sandwiches are very easy to prepare. Only a few simple ingredients are required, namely hard cooked eggs, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Watercress provides a nice contrast of color and slightly peppery bite to the sandwiches.
Egg and Watercress Sandwiches
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp Vegenaise or mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices bread (any kind)
- 2 tbsp butter (softened) (28g)
- 1 sprig watercress (stems removed)
- Boil eggs in a small saucepan for approximately 12 to 15 minutes. Remove, peel and mash with a fork. Add Vegenaise or mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined.
- Spread all 4 slices of bread with a thin layer of butter. Spread half of the egg mixture on a slice of bread. Top with watercress leaves and sandwich with another slice of bread. Repeat with the other portion of egg mixture.
- Trim off crusts and cut into rectangles or triangles.
Let’s put the kettle on, it is time for tea! 😎