Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cookies – soft and chewy pumpkin flavored cookies with a cream cheese filling and a cake-like texture.
It is no wonder that I was craving for a pumpkin dessert this past weekend. Those beautiful golden orbs are on display everywhere. As I was busy with other things, I had to settle for something store bought. The limited edition pumpkin cheesecake cookies from a very popular manufacturer would have to do until I can find time to make my own. The white chunks in the cookies tasted more like white chocolate than cheesecake. Even so, they were pretty good- soft and chewy but a tad too sweet for me.
I really like the idea of combining pumpkin and cream cheese in a cookie. Since cream cheese is soft, it can either be mixed into the dough or used as a frosting. Of late though, I have been seeing a lot of filled cookies in cyberspace which I had in mind to try. Now is as good a time as any. The cream cheese would be perfect as a filling.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cookies
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened) (115g)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (35g)
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour (575)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 stick butter (4 oz/113g)
- ¾ cup brown sugar (135g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree (190g)
- Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar in a bowl. Beat with electric mixer until smooth, about 1 to 2 minutes. Cover and transfer to the refrigerator. Allow it to chill at least 30 minutes.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
- In a large large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat until well blended. Slowly beat in pumpkin puree. Then add dry ingredients, beating in as much as the beater can handle. Mix the rest in with a spatula until just combined.
- Lightly flour your hands. Scoop a rounded tablespoon of dough the size of a large walnut into your palm. Flatten and add about ¾ teaspoon cream cheese filling in the center. Wrap dough around filling. Roll into a ball to seal. Flatten the ball before placing on a cookie sheet. Repeat until all dough is used up.
- Bake cookies at 350°F (180°C) for 23 to 25 minutes. Remove and allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.
These Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cookies are soft with a cake-like texture. Two should be sufficient to satisfy any pumpkin craving. 😉 The rest should be refrigerated if not eaten within a day.