Sweetness to the soul and health to the bones.”
Spiced Kumquat Nut Bread with Gold Shimmer – a delicious tea bread fragrantly spiced with cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom, and nutmeg.
Ever since I bought those two jars of shimmer sugar, I have been keeping a lookout for recipes using sugar sprinkles. Most are cookie recipes and I did use the amethyst shimmer for some teapot shaped Lavender Sugar Cookies which turned out beautifully.
I was really excited when I saw this Cinnamon Spiced Kumquat Nut Bread over at Sumptuous Spoonfuls. Not only did the bread have a sprinkling of raw sugar on the top but it also uses one of my current favorite winter fruits, the kumquat.
Kumquats are tiny, bright orange oval fruits with a sweet rind and a tart flesh. In many parts of East and Southeast Asia, kumquats are associated with the Chinese or Lunar New Year. They are considered to be auspicious because their name in Cantonese, gam gwat, means “gold orange”. The shrubs with their golden fruits are prized and often used as ornamental plants during the festivities. The fruits do look pretty stunning against the backdrop of glossy deep green leaves.
This bread is fragrantly spiced with cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom, and nutmeg. These warm spices go really well with the kumquats. I did change out the flours used from all-purpose and whole wheat flour to whole spelt and oat flour because of some diet sensitivity issues in the family. I also reduced the number of eggs used to just one instead of two for the same reason. The bread turned out beautifully and was almost gone in one sitting. The recipe is a keeper for sure!
Similar Products Used in Making This Spiced Kumquat Nut Bread
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Spiced Kumquat Nut Bread with Gold Shimmer
- 20 kumquats yielding ¾ cup puree (180g)
- 1 cup whole spelt flour (130g)
- ¾ cup whole oat flour (105g)
- ¼ cup flaxmeal (25g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup milk (160ml)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup brown sugar (135g)
- ½ cup toasted chopped walnuts (50g)
- 1 tbsp gold shimmer sugar or raw sugar for the top
- Cut kumquats into halves and remove seeds. Puree kumquats in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180°C).
- In a medium sized bowl, combine spelt flour, oat flour, flaxmeal, salt, baking powder, and spices.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, egg, olive oil, vanilla extract, and brown sugar.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until well mixed.
- Fold in the pureed kumquats and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pan and sprinkle the top with gold shimmer sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool and remove from pan.
This Spiced Kumquat Nut Bread with Gold Shimmer is especially delicious spread with a layer of butter or cream cheese. Enjoy…
Let’s put the kettle on, it is time for tea! 😎